Friday, July 17, 2009

Vegan Split Pea Soup/Adventures with Asthma.


This past week has been really strange for me. I got really sick on Monday and I kept getting worse, and eventually on Wednesday Jason had to rush me to intensive care twice in the same day because my asthma was getting out of control and my inhaler wasn't helping me. I haven't had such a hard time with my asthma since I was a little girl.
Scary stuff, but I'm a-okay now! Thank goodness for whatever I was pumped full of, because let me tell you, it is terrifying to not be able to breathe!
My doctor was a friend of Jason's boss from Indie Coffee, too, isn't that ironic?



Since I haven't been able to write all week,
I thought I would share my Vegan Split Pea Soup recipe with everyone.

  • 2 cups dried split peas
  • 2 cups water (and add an additional cup every so often when you need to. You'll know.)
  • 1/2 large white onion, diced
  • 1 large carrot, cut into coins
  • 1 1/4 tspns curry
  • salt and pepper (however much you choose)
  1. Put the carrots into the pot you're going to use to get a little soft, and add in the onions until they become translucent.
  2. Add two cups of water, then the split peas. Keep on a medium heat and add water as the mixture become dry. If you've ever made split pea soup, you know it's supposed to be thick like a stew, so just try to find a thickness that works for you and your taste.
  3. Add the curry powder and some salt and pepper. This gives the warm taste that you would normally get from ham that is traditionally used in Split Pea Soup. My mom used to make Split Pea Soup for my family when my sister and I were young and we still ate meat, and I think the curry tastes best!
  4. Enjoy!



P.S. I've had a few people ask me if I've become vegan recently because of a lot of the recipes I've been posting, and I'm not, although I'm a Vegetarian. I just feel like Vegan recipes are a bit more challenging and allow for more creativity sometimes. I just wanted to set that straight.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin