Thursday, February 24, 2011

Wisconsin is scary right now.

Sorry I haven't had the chance to write lately, kids.  Madison has been an inspiring and equally scary place lately.
via npr


Just in case you haven't been reading/watching the news lately, Wisconsin's Governer, Scott Walker has been effing with the working class Wisconsinite.
He is trying to pass a bill that will take away collective bargaining and mute the voice of Unions in the state.  This is a really personal blow.  Not only will it effect me as a teacher, but it pains me to know that many state employee's might loose their voices.
I don't talk about my dad often for safety reasons, but he was a Corrections Officer for 20 years.  It wasn't rare for him to come home from work with blood on his shirt, or for him to have broken a bone or stitches.  I didn't find this out until recently, but when I was in high school, my father went under a year of tests to make sure he didn't have AIDS after breaking up a fight with an HIV positive inmate.  I guess there was a chance that they had been exposed to direct contact with eachother's bodily fluid.  There aren't many career's that put you at risk for contracting AIDS, but a Correction's Officer's career does.
If Scott Walker thinks a person who risks their life everyday at work does not diverse a voice or every penny they make, then he's got another thing coming to him.  I was always proud of my dad for being a part of a Union.  He was even the treasurer of the local chapter for many years.  It gives me pride to know that he had a say in knowing that his family was taken care of.

Now, I know for sure that Scott Walker is not even qualified to substitute teach in a Wisconsin school, let alone teach a class. (since he never finished college.)
...But I know for sure that he would not have the courage to do the job my father did for 20 years. 

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin