Due to this change of weather, everyone is getting their last minute yard sales in this weekend before the cold weather comes (still a while off, but obviously well on its way.)
While I was looking through almost all of the yard sales off of Willy St. I met a lovely old, shrunken, and felted sweater from Anthropologie...for FREE!
I decided to give it a second chance at life,
and here is how you can give a shrunken sweater of yours new life too!
Felted Sweater ---->Recycled Felt MittensWhat you'll need:
- a felted sweater
- something to write with
- a sewing needle with a big eye
- thick thread or thin yarn
- Cut the seams of the sweater.
- Take a piece of paper and trace your hand, then cut it out. This will serve as a templet. Remember to leave seam allowances!
- Lay your templet upon the sweater (pin it down if you choose to) and proceed to cut out two pieces with the thumb in one direction, and two with the thumb in the opposite direction. This will provide you with a front and a back to each mitten.
- Now lay your pieces together like they're supposed to look when you would be wearing your new mittens if you want the stitching to show, if not lay them out as they would look as if they were inside out. Thread your needle and begin to sew in blanket stitch around the edge of the mittens.
- Oh hey, you're done! Don't forget to reuse the rest of the sweater for another project and recycle your leftover paper! Good work!