Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jason and I were supposed to drive from Madison to Oklahoma for Thanksgiving to spend it with his family (it was supposed to be my first time meeting them also! Scary!!) but I got pretty sick, so we decided to take advantage of our 4 day weekend and get some good rest while we could. I was pretty bummed. I'm used to cozy family Thanksgivings, and I was worried how I would feel about Thanksgiving without my family. It is my first big holiday without them.
Although I did miss my family very much today at dinner (and yes, I even missed my dad's stories that he tells over and over and over again), it was nice to have a quiet dinner with Jason that we cooked together, and it felt especially nice to start new traditions and try new things.


Really, the newest thing about Thanksgiving this year was that we made tofurkey.
It's tiny and kind of salty, but it was a good alternative.


I also made my own cranberry sauce, only I tried it with less sugar, and it tastes better that way!
Recipe:
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (let the two boil together)
3 cups cranberries

Let cranberry skin pop and serve. Easy peasy.



Happy Thanksgiving from my crazy family to yours!

1 comment:

Tia Colleen said...

I really miss my family at big holidays. I haven't had a Thanksgiving dinner with my Dad in 4 years now :( BUT, hes coming for Christmas for the first time, so thats going to be amazing.

You made your own tofurkey?? Thats rad. I bought one a couple years ago (ok I guess it was like 8 years ago) back when I was vegan, and if I had my way, we'd be eating tofurkey every year. I tell my husband if he wants a "real" bird, he can cook it himself. Thats rad that you made your own out of tofu :)

At first glance, I thought the picture was of ice cream? And I thought you had a giant bowl of melted gingerbread cream for dinner. Wouldn't that be amazing?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin