Thursday, February 4, 2010

Inspiration

I am not a rich woman.
I'm probably borderline comfortable, if that. Because of this, a lot of the clothes that I wear are either gifts or thrifted. This has never been a problem for me before, but I'm starting to worry now.
I start school at the end of March, however I also start student teaching at the end of March as well. The big problem here is that I don't own professional clothes. Old vintage dresses just won't cut it when I'm going to have to be teaching night school because I have to work fulltime too. My students would probably think that I'm a loon. I mean, let's face it, we're all a little looney, but I don't want to look like it while I'm working towards my career.
When I'm nannying I will wear whatever I pick up first in the morning as long as I don't mind if it gets snot on it, but I feel afraid to be in a world where I need to look 100% everyday (or at least 95%!)
Don't get me wrong, I feel that I am not a fashion idiot...I'm just not a rich woman. How does one get around trying to find thrifted professional clothes that aren't:
  1. pleated or
  2. made of polyester??

Anyway, I put together some inspirational pieces to give me some confidence to still be thrifty and buy second-hand, only with the intentions of putting more effort into adding embellishments.




The truth is, I don't even know when I'll have time for homework, let alone embellishing my wardrobe!

7 comments:

Meg said...

Ugh Connie, I love that mustard skirt. Where did you find that?

Unknown said...

You can get quite a big difference , and a new lease of life by just changing buttons and embellishing too. But like you say, it all takes time !suzie xxx

merelythemoon said...

Meg, all of the items are from anthro (again, a love/hate relationship that we share!) except the necklace, which is from Figs and Ginger (and that one is more like a love/love relationship!)

Laura Face-Palmer said...

hey Connie,

I used to be a teacher (that makes me feel very old!) and no matter how 'smart' and 'normal' my clothes were my big chunky 'ART' shoes gave me away and the gids used to call me a 'mossher' (someone who listens to rock music - kind of!) what age are your students??

L x

merelythemoon said...

Laura, I didn't know you were a teacher at one point. It makes complete sense though, you have such a kind and calming way about you.

My students will be between the ages of 10 and 21. I'll be a middle school and high school history teacher! What fun! How is Ada?

Jen said...

connie, how did you make that collage? did you use a program? i want to collage more on my blog.

merelythemoon said...

Jen, I used photoshop to make this collage, but you could easily use paint also. It might not come out as clean cut, but it will still work well. I hope that helps you a bit!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin