Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Rural Pennsylvania & Theft vs. Starving Children.

I go to school in a very rural area of Pennsylvania, which is extremely impoverished. It's not rare for me to see children in shoes that are falling apart with dirty faces and hair that looks like it hasn't been washed in a week or maybe longer.
It breaks my heart.
I often find myself wanting to get down on one knee and do the lick the thumb mom thing to clean the dirt smudges from their cheeks and foreheads.

Yesterday I was in the supermarket and as I was waiting in line there was a couple with three small children under the age of four. The family had huge boxes of soda under their cart, and paid for their frozen pizza and boxed macaroni and cheese and rushed away without paying for the soda. I watched as they walked away, and looked at the cashier to see if he had noticed. He didn't.

My heart went out to these children. I wanted to hug them, take them home, give them baths, and feed them a warm meal to nourish their bodies instead of the soda and frozen pizza they were going to be given.





I watched these people steal and I didn't say anything.
I'm the kind of person who will confront someone when they are doing something wrong, especially if it is hurtful, harmful, or offensive in any way, but I didn't say a thing about this.

Was it wrong?
I saw them as clearly being victims of their situation.
Was it wrong of me not to have said anything?
I think I would have felt worse if I had said anything.



When is the earliest time a person can be a foster parent?
Update:
Age 21 (In Pennsylvania)

Now I'm wondering if it's a good idea for a single,
22 year old strudent to be a parent to troubled children by herself.
A part of me says wait until you're married and have a partner to do this with.
The other part of me says there's no time to waste.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

http://www.psfpa.com/

merelythemoon said...

Thanks Mo. Do you think they would let a single student do something like this by themselves?

Unknown said...

the problem is not theft, but the causes. the problem is the inequality that results in this.
oh.. it is is so complicated.

Jem Baker said...

if you over-think it you're only going to hurt yourself

Justin the Jaguar said...

Its a grey area. You did the best thing for those children, though. They would have been deprived of their soda otherwise. Also, their parents could have been fined for shoplifting which would have put them in even more trouble financially.

I think you did the right thing. Though, I believe the parents were wrong. Tap water beats soda. (even in Mansfield.)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin